Tuesday, January 5

Smithsonian American History Museum

After we left the Horticultural Building, we caught a taxi and asked him to take us to the Natural History Museum, but he had a bit of a communication problem, so dropped us off at the American History Museum. This is the one place that I wanted to visit.

It was very interesting. It showed old steam engines. Some made of wood,
some made of metal. They had figures set up to look like passengers waiting for the train.

A fruit wagon loading freight at the station in 1895.


A display on Southern Railway.

The army crosses the country.

Another steam engine.
One of the first cars. I think it would have been fun to ride in one like this but I sure wouldn't have wanted to cross the US in it.

The traveler renting a cabin. For some reason this display reminded me of the traveling salesman.

A beautiful car, but more modern. I would love to own a Buick like this one. Very classic.

The boys found this domestic gasoline engine intriguing. Grandpa used one of these on the farm before they got electricity in 1961.

Another interesting display. The boys found all of these things remarkable and wondered how people ever survived back then. LOL

This diorama was pretty. I love water wheels. Imagine running a factory or grist mill by this means.

Christmas tree in the foyer.

We didn't have much time to spend here that day and only were able to see things on the main level. We did get back another day and I have more photos that I will post later. I loved the Horticultural Building and these two places were my favourites on the trip. I will post more photos tomorrow.

16 comments:

  1. This is one of the places I've not been to. It looks fascinating. It's good for the boys to see how life used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the places I would love to visit. There is so much to see there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, y'all packed a lot into your visit to DC! I've never been there myself. Kind of ironic that you've been there, being a Canadian, and I've never been there, as an American.

    Stay warm and take care of yourself, my friend.

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I MUST get to DC and visit some of these spectacular museums...looks like you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary,
    I'm so pleased you dropped by to visit...I've enjoyed looking at your visit to Washington.

    Many years ago we went to the Smithsonian on two occasions. So much to see....

    Wishing you a blessed 2010....Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Smithsonian. I've been there once and would love to go back. I could probably spend a week there and not see everything I would want to see. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that old buick! It's so fun to go back in time walking museums!! Oh the history of it all.

    And, D. C. is a fabulous place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Smithsonian is MARVELOUS isn't it! I have fond memories of my visits there and I've enjoyed looking at your wonderful photos today. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love history museums! Thanks for all the pictures. We went to Washington DC when my youngest son took their 8th grade trip there. It was fun and interesting, but went by all too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those two museums are my favorites, too.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary thanks for stopping by to check on us and all you are doing for us. There is so much red tape and many other issues. I am helping with all of that and I am so tired. I am still recovering and it is so cold here and we are expecting a heavy snow tonight. Please know how much we all appreciate what you are doing for us. In answer to your question about the book no I have not gotten one..hugs..m.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it amazing how a lot of our modern technology first started...everything was so simple and crude but yet it worked. People had to work much harder back then, that's for sure. Such wonderful displays and it's no wonder the boys were so fascinated with it all. Like you, I also love places like that.

    I wanted to ask you, have you ever been on Mackinac Island? I've never been but it's a place I so want to visit!! Steve needs to get his passport!!!! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool that we were just there a few months apart!
    I loved this museum too. It was so neat to see our past...life did seem a tad more simple then. :) But I love that some of that past is still around for us to see today.
    I don't know about you...but makeing all those rounds to different place just about killed my feet...no we didn't use a taxi.
    We stayed right outside Washington and took the metro in...which meant these dogs were beat by the time we got back to our room.
    Glad ya'll had a great time....I think everyone should make this visit at least once in a life time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not much on museums but that makes me want to go....... I hope to go there one day.. Your grandsons are getting quite the history lessons.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. grandaddy was a UP switchman for 40 years.....

    here's a question he liked to ask. can you answer it??


    if an electric engine is heading south at 90 mph, and there's an east wind going 30mph, as the engine goes uphill at a 20 degree incline with a 30degree curve to the west...which way does the steam blow??

    ReplyDelete