Wednesday, May 6

61*: A Great Movie


I'm not much for TV, but since I can't sit at the computer too long these days, I was channel surfing tonight and came across the 2001 movie 61* and I can tell you, it was a delight to watch.

Billy Crystal's (2001) movie 61* tells the story of the 1961 baseball season when both Mickey Mantle (Thomas Jane) and Roger Maris (Berry Pepper) were in line to break Babe Ruth's record of 60 runs in one season. When the baseball commissioner thinks that one of them might just accomplish that feat, he changes the rules and determines that if the record isn't beaten in so many games that it will have an asternik follow the number.

The public is rooting for Mantle, who starts the season off well. Maris sees to be the underdog throughout the film. He receives hate mail and his wife receives a phone call from someone threatening to kidnap their children.

Then, Maris hears rumors that he may be traded during his first season. He digs in and begins hitting homeruns. Mantle's game begins to slow because of his wild lifestyle.

The media favors outspoken Mantle over the quiet Maris. They hound Maris, a person who dislikes being in the limelight and just wants to play baseball. He seems not to care about beating the record.

61* brought back many memories of baseball during my childhood. Though the focus was on Mantle and Maris, other baseball greats, such as Yogi Berra and Joe Dimaggio were mentioned. Those were the days when baseball greats were our heroes...their names were household words and baseball was the game of America.

If you haven't seen 61*, I highly recommend it. It captures the essence of baseball as a legacy, is entertaining and brings to light what the baseball greats went through as they lived their dream.

Enjoy your day.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation - it sounds like a good one - I know DC would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen that is it is a wonderful movie........ Hope you are well ..... I was out of the house most of the day today and did not get to sit and type out an email.... I think I will have some time tomorrow!


    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this movie. It brought back great memories for me also, I miss that era more and more everyday. It's all slipping away and It makes me feel old, and sad in a way.
    Hope you are doing well Mary. Take care my Canada friend..;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen or heard of that movie before. I'm glad you wrote about it as I'm sure my dh will enjoy it. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of the movie, either. My sister was a huge fan of the NY Yankees. She would probably love the movie. My sister and I would want to watch American Bandstand on Saturdays, while she wanted to watch the ballgames. Though, I must admit, I liked Mickey Mantle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have, I have seen this....some time ago. You know me and baseball. Bud and I really liked it.

    We watched Transporter 3 yesterday. Not much to it if you ask me.

    Have a blessed Thursday Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess it was a long time ago now, but it doesn't feel like it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great movie. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like something my Hubby would like. I do not watch many movies, mostly they bore me. I would usually rather read a book.
    Hope your weather is being nice to you for getting your garden going.
    We are dealing with some rain right now, but nothing serious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never heard of that movie but, since I happen to like movies about "real life" and I also remember that season too with the competition between Mantle and Maris (I was pulling for Maris, by the way) so I think it would be interesting then to see this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the input about the movie. I'm always looking for a good clean movie to watch that doesn't have a lot of violence that gives me nightmares! I just can't watch the spooky ones, they give me the creeps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great movie. I grew up in a "baseball" family-I bet my Dad would enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary
    Happy Mother's day my wonderful friend! May you have a comfortable and beautiful day, love,Lori

    ReplyDelete
  14. And all those many years ago... my sister pulled for the Yankees and I pulled for the Dodgers...LOL

    I hardly ever keep up with baseball anymore... when my grandchildren were playing, I loved to go to see them play...

    I think I would like that movie!

    ReplyDelete