Wednesday, December 17

One of my Favorite Things: Christmas Books

In late November, I hosted a Christmas book swap. Today I received a wonderful book from my partner, Paula of On A Rainy Night. Our Simple Gifts: Civil War Christmas Tales by Owen Parry beautifully wrapped.
Also in the envelope was a beautiful card, which included a note and The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. Thank You, Paula. You did a great job of chosing my Christmas book. As you know, I love history and am a Civil War buff. A perfect choice. I look forward to reading both of these books and will definitely being doing reviews as I finish reading them.

If you remember, last week I posted that Peggy of Hidden Haven Homestead had sent me a beautiful book through my Christmas Book Swap. It's a lovely book and I've just finished reading it. There are many beautiful stories included in the book, along with a bit of Christmas history, tales of Christmas at the Graham's, recipes, crafts projects to do with kids and lovely poems and pictures. This makes a marvelous Christmas gift. If you still have to buy for a book lover or for someone who loves Christmas, I highly recommend this book. It is full of the Spirit of Christmas.

15 comments:

  1. You got some lovely gifts, Corrie Ten Boom's one is one of my favourites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have any of those books. Wonderful choices. Merry CHRISTmas...m..

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're liking your books, Mary. I'm reading the Christmas book that you sent me earlier in the year right now ~ Mountains, Memories and Mistletoe. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't laugh, but that cover of the 2nd book,...well, the cover alone would make me wanna buy it. I love the sepia tones and the 'old fastioned' etchings and photos like this.

    Sounds like a great gift. If you do this next year, I will be sure to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you liked the book! Have a very Merry Christmas and thanks again for a great swap

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my book too and a lovely card and bookmark!
    You are going to love the Hiding place book. What an incredible story of God. And you know of course there is a movie that was made by Billy Graham...if you love history you will love this movie.
    Enjoy your read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad the swap went well. I think you'll like The Hiding Place; I read it years ago ... and saw the movie -- Billy Graham production if you ever want to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you enjoyed the book and thanks for the recommendations.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christmas is never complete with getting a book, or six, for me. My sister always gives me a book and now my grandchildren are getting me books.

    I have trouble hiding my disappointment if I get clothes for Christmas. Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you received some great books! Happy reading, Mary!

    (((((( HUGS ))))))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great gift...I love Corrie ten Boom's books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both of these books sound really good. The kind I like too. I love history. I like historical fiction books.

    ReplyDelete