Wednesday, July 30

News about Meeko and an Award

Many of my regular readers will recognize Meeko. This photo was taken last summer. I have very few photos of him that are this good. He is a bit camera shy and likes to turn his head just when I snap his picture.

Meeko has always been a very clean dog. He is eight years old and we never had any trouble training him. So, a month ago when he had an accident in the house, I wondered if he had a problem. It didn't happen again, so I figured it was just that he had a bit of a stomach ache and couldn't wait or maybe that he had a bug.

Last Thursday hubby and I had to go out for a couple of hours to take care of some business. When we came home, Meeko had had another accident and this time there was fresh blood in his stool. Though it was 6 pm, I called the vet's office immediately and was referred to the after hours clinic. They told me to bring him in. I thought maybe he had gotten into some bones, but that was not the case.

It seems Meeko has colitis. I never imagined that dogs would suffer from this, but sure enough that's what he has. I guess dogs can get any condition that humans can.

The vet prescribed medication for Meeko and he seems to be doing much better. I have to phone my regular vet to find out if he has to continue treatment or be put on a special diet. I would also like to know what causes a dog to have colitis. I will definitely keep everyone updated on his progress, but right now he seems to be his old self. I'm also going to inquire on a prognosis.

The above award was given to me by Sammie at Bears in Exile. It is a lovely award and I appreciate it so much. Thank you so much, Sammie. It is lovely.

I would like to present this to all of the wonderful folks who stop by to visit with me on a regular basis. Each of you are creative in your own way and each possess amazing talents. You all brighten my day and now it is my turn to brighten yours with this little button. Enjoy! ~Blessings, Mary~

15 comments:

  1. Poor Meeko! I hope he's feeling much better, soon!

    I'll have to ask my sister the vet tech. and vet clinic manager about colitis, but as I recall, it can be caused by table food, esp. fatty foods, and by changing their dog foods, among many other things. I think hairballs may be another cause, even among dogs, esp. long coated breeds like Meeko. You may never know what caused it, Mary.

    Thank you so much for passing along the pretty award, Mary. :o)

    Have a great week!

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your award sweetie. I am very sorry about dear Meeko, praying for him to feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even our precious furbabies are affected by the fall of man. How's Meeko today? I'm looking forward to hearing of your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meeko is a beautiful dog. Hope the medicine helps quickly. Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to see your pet suffer as they cannot tell you haw they feel. Our dog has cost a lot of money since last October with liver, bowel and stomach symptoms but is holding his own now without medication, just a special diet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry Meeko is under the weather...It is so hard when your pets are ill, they can't tell you where they hurt...I hope he continues to improve...

    Congratulations on your award...you deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Babies, little children and pets -when they are sick, it really does take a toll on those of us around them -especially since they can't communicate where things hurt to those of us designated to see that they are healthy and pain-free. Hope Meeko is doing better and will see a return of good health in short order.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhhhhhhh, I love this photo of Meeko. He is soooo pretty. Well, I best say "Handsome". I sure hope everything is healing well, and that the work the clinic did for him and your working with Meeko to help him out will turn for the better. I love Meeko!!!!

    The award is sweet. And you are very deserving of it too dear Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary
    What a handsome fellow Meeko photo shows how regal he can pose. I hope the meds and any advise you get from your vet can help with his problem. Peace be with you dear friend and your furball also. I put you something in the mail on Monday. Congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soooooooo glad that Meeko is ok! I have never heard of a dog having the same sickness as we might have. Glad that they were able to find it and do something..... I know what he means to you....... He is a beautiful dog........

    Come over and put your name in the pool pot and look at my new Sew The Word! I am finally getting something done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear the Meeko has been sick. Who knew that dogs could have colitis. I am glad you were able to get help for him.
    Congrat on your lovely award! Thank you for sharing it with us! Love and hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary,

    I'm sorry that Meeko has colitis. I didn't realize that dogs could get that either. It must have been very frightening to come home and see stools with blood in them. I'm glad that medication and diet will treat the condition. It's great to hear that he is back to being his great old Meeko self!!!

    Congratulations on your award! It is a lovely one!

    Hugs,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry about Meeko!!! I hope he is feeling better soon....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Mary, I am so glad that you found out what was going on with Meeko and that it can be treated! It's so hard when our furry kids are sick and cant tell us what's wrong. I hope he is feeling lots better soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can certainly relate to your concern about Meeko. Poor animals, they just can't tell us how they feel. I worry over my cats just as if they were my kids! I take pet ownership very seriously and see to it that mine get the medical care they need, too. I do pray that Meeko does well on the meds and a new diet. My mother suffered with colitis for years, and she was miserable, so I'm sure Meeko feels the same way. He is a gorgeous dog!!!

    Congrats on the award and thank you for passing it on. I will be happy to add it to my sidebar. Thank you so much!

    Keep us updated on Meeko!

    (((((( HUGS ))))))

    ReplyDelete