Monday, May 19

Important Message for Women

I was watching the news on Saturday night when an important message was broadcast. It seems that researchers at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital have done a study on Vitamin D and breast cancer. The results of the study were released last Thursday by the American Society of Clinical Oncology.

Researchers found that women who had low blood levels of Vitamin D when diagnosed with breast cancer did not have a good prognosis and were at greater risk for a more serious form of cancer.

Dr. Pamela Goodwin, a clinician scientist at Mount Sinai stated, Women who had low levels of Vitamin D tended to have more aggressive tumors than women who had high levels of Vitamin D. The women who had dificient levels had almost doubled risk of metastasis and dying.

Dr. Goodwin recommends that women who have breast cancer take a Vitamin D supplement that is recommended for optimum bone health - between 600 and 800 IU (International Units) daily.

Dr. Goodwin also specified that women of color have lower levels of Vitamin D in their blood because the pigment in their skin doesn't allow them to absorb as much sunlight. She suggests having your doctor order a simple blood test to determine the level of Vitamin D in your blood. Ideally your Vitamin D blood levels should be between 80 and 120 nanomoles per liter of blood.

A number of studies have been conducted and they suggest Vitamin D may possibly help prevent breast and colorectal cancer, according to Dr. Stephen Chia, an oncologist who practices at British Columbia's Cancer Agency. However, Dr. Chia advises that more research is necessary.

There are few foods that contain Vitamin D. One is egg yolks and in Canada, cereals are fortified with Vitamin D. The best natural source of Vitamin D is sunlight. However, those of us that live in a four season climate do not get enough exposure to sunlight. Therefore we need to take a Vitamin D supplement.

In 2007, the Canadian Cancer Society recommended a daily dose of 1,000 IU of Vitamin D to keep the body in optimum health. Vitamin D can also fight depression from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) which causes fatigue and depression.

Ladies, please see your doctor and have him/her order a blood test to see if your Vitamin D levels are what they should be. If not, be sure to take a Vitamin D supplement daily.

Please pass this information on to all the women in your life. We need to continue the fight against breast cancer. ~Blessings, Mary~

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info Mary, I am buying some vitamin D. You have a great week:)
    hugs
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for visiting, mary....i love my new bicycle....without all the bells and whistles....just right for me! they are called cruisers...just in case you are looking! :) and thank you for the article on breast cancer and vitamin D. i have lived most of my life in sunny arizona....so good to know...but my mom had breast cancer and she was an arizona native also....so good advice to get it checked and be aware....have a wonderful week,
    kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that too! Now, don't get me wrong...it may sound funny, but to me that really makes a sensible connection. ::shrug:: Vitamin D and milk.

    Okay, so maybe a bit on the goofy side of thinking, but still it's all so feasible.

    Great addition for a blog entry. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vit. D is good for so many things...I take one every morning....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you for sharing this very important information sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary I saw the same information on a news broadcast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is good information. Breast cancer is the one thing I probably fear the most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the information. In fact I need to E-mail you right now and come back to visting the blogs when I get the e-mail off to you. Love and hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing that! I am checking my multivitamins right now!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary,
    I sent you an e-mail to the address you posted,but my e-mail came back,said no such person at that address.Tried it twice...
    The card you sent to Helen and I was great.Sure do appreciate your thoughtfulness.THank You
    GOD BLESS.
    MY e-mail is.
    oldfolk89@cableone.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this info. I saw something on the morning news about vitamin D this morning.
    I am horrible when it comes to taking vitamins....I had to take too many as a child. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will go get me some....I am terrible about taking Vits! but I need to get better.... You are always so good at giving us good information,,,,,,, I so appreciate all you do .... :) thanks girl friend..........

    chat latter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary,

    Excellent article! Thank you for this valuable information.

    Hugs,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. May I take your breast cancer awareness stamp for my sidebar? If you would rather not, you have to find me another one!! hahaha Nawh...just kidding, Mary, my friend....
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I fully understand why our Dr wanted Mimi and I to take at least 800 units of vitamin D. while I went to the dematologist I left her for her appointment with him as they were within a block of each other. Thanks. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not capable of see this web site correctly on my telephone :(

    Have a look at my blog :: tips to get pregnant

    ReplyDelete